Fire Service

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Fire Service


Captain Howard Eady, the first chief officer of the St Helier Fire Brigade. Capt Eady was appointed on a wage of 50 shillings per week and was former Honorary Chief Officer of Bournemouth Fire Brigade and of the Issy les Molineaux (Seine) Brigade, so he had a wealth of firefighting knowledge. He was tasked with setting up the new St Helier Fire Brigade

This history is taken from the Jersey Fire and Rescue Service website, which is no longer acessible through the original URL

St Helier Fire Brigade (1902-1950)

The St Helier Fire Brigade was inaugurated on 1 January 1902 and originally consisted of Chief Officer, Captain Howard Eady, a second officer, foreman and 12 firemen - all volunteers. Up to that time there had been, as far as parish records go, no official firefighting body in the town although for many years a garrison of troops was based in the Island who would assist at civil fires if requested to do so.

Initially, St Helier Fire Brigade was housed at the Town Hall and remained there until after World War I. Captain Eady served as Chief Officer until 1915, when he was succeeded by Adolphus Gale, who remained in charge until 1924, being then succeeded by Joseph Remphrey. Long overdue relocation came about in 1923 when the equipment room at the Town Hall was required for other purposes and the brigade moved to what had been the Town Arsenal in Nelson Street.

After Jersey became occupied by German forces in July 1940, control of the Fire Brigade passed from the Parish of St Helier to the States of Jersey under the Emergency Powers Act, involving the formation of two small sub sections (St Aubin and Gorey) which were disbanded again in 1945.

Jersey's first Fire Chief? J K Haire was a song writer and the founder member of the Volunteer Jersey Fire Brigade in 1867. The Volunteer Fire Brigade operated from a fire station at the Royal Paragon Livery Stables. Above the fire station was the Paragon Dance Hall, of which Haire was the proprietor. They operated small manual fire engines supplied by insurance companies. One of these was the Norwich Union and West of England Assurance fire engine

States of Jersey Fire Service (1950-2000)

After the war, a spate of serious fires led to further reorganisation, and in 1950 a new Chief Officer, Frank Edmonston, was recruited from the Salford Fire Brigade. Under the new name of the States of Jersey Fire Service, many changes ensued, including the moving of the Service to its present location in Rouge Bouillon in 1954.

1961 brought with it a liability to engage in inshore marine rescue and a Zodiac type inflatable rescue craft was purchased. In 1976 a hydraulic platform was bought to replace the ageing turntable ladder, which was itself eventually replaced by the Service's current aerial ladder platform in 1991.

In 1971 a reassessment of manpower resulted in the introduction of control room staff employed to deal with incoming emergency calls. In 1977, after strong recommendations by HM Inspectors of Fire Services and Chief Fire Officer Bill Mahoney, a western sub-station was opened at Route des Quennevais, St Brelade, which not only provided more effective fire cover for the western parishes, but also increased the strength of the firefighting resources of the Island.

1994 saw an expansion of the Service's rescue role with the introduction of a cliff rescue capability.

States of Jersey Fire and Rescue Service (2000-present)

In 2000, the Service's wider rescue role was reflected in a name change to the States of Jersey Fire and Rescue Service.

Further history

Major fires


Fire Service uniforms over the years. Left to right: 1902-1950, 1950-1970, 1970-1990, 1990-2001, 2001-2018, 2018

Click on any image to see a larger version

Queen's funeral

Jersey Fire Service Station Commander Ryan Hall, was one of 16 firefighters from across the British Isles chosen to represent the emergency services in the funeral procession for Queen Elizabeth II in 2022

Dennis fire engine

These photographs of a Dennis F8 were posted to Facebook in 2023 by Norman Wood, who previously owned and restored the fire engine

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs