Les Ruettes

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Les Ruettes, St John


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org


Property name

Les Ruettes


Rue de La Scelletterie, St John

Type of property

18th century country house


Sold for £350,000 in 2006

Families associated with the property

  • Valpy: It was the birthplace of brothers Richard Valpy (1754-1836) and Edouard Valpy (1764-1832), both renowned headmasters. It is a typical Jersey house of the mid 18th century, built for their parents, Richard Valpy and Catherine Chevalier.
  • De Ste Croix: The house changed hands six times in 100 years after it was built. Jean de Ste Croix bought it from the Rev Richard Valpy, who, as the eldest son, inherited it from his parents. He was living in England at the time.
  • Le Sueur: Jean de Ste Croix sold Les Ruettes to Josue Le Sueur.
  • Le Ruez: Josue Le Sueur sold the house in 1811 to Philippe Le Ruez, who married Sophie Rachel du Pont (1800- ), daughter of a French refugee family which settled in Hue Street and then at Vieux Menage in St Saviour. Mrs Le Ruez created a herb garden at Les Ruettes and offered herbal cures to many people who visited.
  • Orange: She left the house to her daughter Sophie Elise, who married Moise Orange (1827-1867), who bought the property from his wife in 1857. On his death, it was sold in 1879 to Emanuel Galode, son of Casimir, and then back to Sophie Elise Orange (1864- )
  • Arthur: She married John Stephen Orange Arthur. The house would then remain in the Arthur family for a century. In 1932 Les Ruettes was described as 'Mr Arthur's Farm'. The historian Jean Arthur lived here later, as did Miss Winifred Arthur in the 1950s.



Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A notable example of a superior vernacular house of mid-18th century, following the accepted pattern but with features that give it individuality.

A notable example of development of a farmstead with early origins. A good survival of many notable original features. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Mid-18th century farmstead with earlier 17th century origins. Main house with cottage attached to west, farm range to west and south of this.

Two-storey cross wing, possibly 17th century and site of former tourelle

Old Jersey Houses

It is one of the many mysteries of Old Jersey Houses why the author chose to feature this archetypal Jersey farmhouse of the mid-18th century instead of many others of equal or greater merit, which she omitted, and also chose to include an image (top right) of it half obscured by a tree as one of only ten colour photographs in the second volume. The explanation is perhaps that at the time she wrote her book, her good friend and fellow historian Jean Arthur was living in the house.

This house has benefitted greatly according to Joan Stevens from having owners who have had sufficient funds to keep it well maintained, but not enough money to embark on major alterations which would spoil the original structure.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs